IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT UMD HEALTH INSURANCE REQUIREMENT
Health Insurance Coverage Requirement - Automatic Enrollment & Billing
- All undergraduate students at the University of Maryland, College Park, who are enrolled in 6 or more credits are required to have Health Insurance.
- In order to ensure coverage, the University automatically enrolls all undergraduate students taking 6 or more credits in the University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) unless an approved waiver is submitted.
- Students are automatically billed for SHIP.
- International undergraduate students who matriculated beginning Fall of 2017 are automatically enrolled in SHIP with no option to waive.
- Waivers can only be done online at www.firststudent.com. A waiver is required each academic year without exception.
- Deadline for Fall Admits- September 15
- Deadline for Spring Admits - February 15
- Please call the Health Center Business Office for questions or assistance at 301-314-8165.
Purpose of Health Insurance Requirement
The purpose of the health insurance requirement is to ensure that students have adequate coverage and to avoid the accumulation of unexpected medical bills that could cause an interruption of one's education. The American College Health Association notes the “SHIPs are an outstanding value for students due to robust and broad coverage, often at half the cost of comparable employee plans…SHIPs are uniquely designed for the lifestyles of college students. Specifically, SHIP coverage accounts for the mobility of the student patient population by remaining in place while a student engages in student travel or during anticipated breaks in the academic year.” UMD’s SHIP is a platinum level plan which covers students both in College Park as well as nationally through the insurance company’s provider network.
Waiver of Health Insurance Requirement
Students who do not wish to retain the SHIP must file an online waiver each academic year to have the charge removed from their tuition bill. This is referred to as a “hard waiver.”
The waiver website opens in mid-May and remains open until September 15th. A waiver is required each academic year without exception. The waiver must be submitted online. Providing insurance information at the University Health Center does not substitute for the waiver requirement. Once the waiver is received and approved, the insurance charge is reversed on the student bill. If no waiver is received, the charge will remain on the bill and the student will be enrolled in the UMD-offered plan. The premium is billed annually and provides coverage between August and the following July. (Students may also proactively enroll in the plan through the website.)
State law mandates that retroactive terminations are not available. The University must pay the applicable subscription charges for a member covered under the plan until the insurer receives the notice that the member is no longer eligible for coverage. This means that all waivers must be completed on time. If you do not waive coverage by the deadlines, you will be held responsible for all charges made by the carrier. There are no exceptions.
For a waiver to be approved, the level of benefits provided to the student through a health insurance plan must be fully compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Coverage is considered comparable if it provides students with access to local providers and a range of services in the state of Maryland. Services include, but are not limited to, preventive and non-urgent care, emergency care, surgical care, inpatient and outpatient hospitalization, lab work, diagnostic X-rays, physical therapy and chiropractic care, prescription drugs, and mental health and substance abuse treatment.
Students who waive the UMD Student Health Insurance Plan are solely responsible for all medical expenses and bills incurred.